I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Justice for Men; Injustice for Women--Aug. 11, 2016


For me, the boundary lines have fallen in pleasant places;
I am a man; I have a goodly heritage.
For my sisters in the faith, the places are not as pleasant.
Jesus' disciples were astonished that he
spoke to a woman.
Stephen addressed his defense to brothers and fathers;
women were not allowed.
Samson liked the looks of a Philistine woman
and asked his father to get her for him,
as a child might ask for a toy.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 147:12-20; 16; 62
Judg. 14:1-19
Acts 6:15-7:16
John 4:27-42
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 16:6
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
          I have a goodly heritage.

Judg. 14:3
But [Samson's] father and mother said to him, "Is there not a woman among your kin, or among all our people, that you must go to take a wife from the uncircumcised Philistines?"  But Samson said to his father, "Get her for me, because she pleases me." 

Acts 7:1-2a
Then the high priest asked [Stephen], "Are these things so?"  And Stephen replied:
"Brothers and fathers, listen to me.  …"

John 4:27
Just then his disciples came. They were astonished that he was speaking with a woman, but no one said, "What do you want?" or, "Why are you speaking with her?"

No comments:

Post a Comment