I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Poor Are Despoiled; the Needy Groan--Aug. 30, 2016


God of compassion, the poor are despoiled;
the needy groan; rise up and place them
in the safety for which they long.
We pray fervently for them.
But we cannot deceive you.
Will it be well for us when you
search us out?  Are we slaves to the sin
of despoiling the poor and ignoring
the groans of the needy?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7
Job 12:1, 13:3-17, 21-27
Acts 12:1-17
John 8:33-47
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 7:5
 “Because the poor are despoiled, because the needy groan,
          I will now rise up,” says the LORD;
          “I will place them in the safety for which they long.” 

Job 13:9
"…Will it be well with you when [God] searches you out?  Or can you deceive him, as one person deceives another?  …"  [Job to Zaphar and his other friends]

Acts 12:5
While Peter was kept in prison, the church prayed fervently to God for him.

John 8:34
Jesus answered [his detractors], "Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment