I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Words of Spirit and Life--Aug. 23, 2016


Jesus, you speak the words of spirit and life.
Speak to me, when I feel no help in me,
when my every resource is drained.
As Peter healed and energized
Aeneas, heal and energize me;
save me by your name
and vindicate me by
your might.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 54; 146; 28; 99
Job 6:1-4, 8-15, 21
Acts 9:32-43
John 6:60-71
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 54:1
 Save me, O God, by your name,
          and vindicate me by your might. 

Job 6:12-13
"…Is my strength the strength of stones, or is my flesh bronze?  In truth I have no help in me, and any resource is driven from me.  …"  [Job]

Acts 9:34-35
Peter said to [the man bedridden eight years], "Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; get up and make your bed!"  And immediately he got up.  And all the residents of Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

John 6:63
"…It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh is useless.  The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment