I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

All whom God Made in the Womb--Sept. 8, 2016


God our refuge, you know the human heart,
not just mine, not just of people like me,
for as you made me in the womb,
so you made all mortals.

And all whom you made,
you love without distinction;
for all are invited to trust you,
to pour out their hearts before
you, and to take refuge in you.

Jesus says to us all that he is
the resurrection and the life,
and invites us all to live,
to live in him.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 147:12-20, 16; 62
Job 29:1, 31:1-23
Acts 15:1-11
John 11:17-29
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 62:8
Trust in him at all times, O people;
          pour out your heart before him;
          God is a refuge for us. Selah

Job 31:15
Did not he who made me in the womb make [my slaves]?  And did not one fashion us in the womb?

Acts 15:8-9
"…And God, who knows the human heart, testified to [the Gentiles] by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us; and in cleansing their hearts by faith he has made no distinction between them and us.  …"  [Peter to the apostles and elders in Jerusalem]

John 11:25
Jesus said to [Martha], "I am the resurrection and the life.  Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.  Do you believe this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment