I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

To Let My Light Shine--Sept. 4, 2016


Loving and merciful God,
you have searched me and known me;
you know how far I am from being righteous
or pure in your sight.  No one would ever
imagine that your and Jesus' names
are written on my forehead.

Nevertheless, I pray
that any light you
have put inside me
will shine before others,
and that they may see your
good works and give glory to you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 103; 150; 117; 139
Job 25:1-6, 27:1-6
Rev. 14:1-7, 13
Matt. 5:13-20
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 139:1-2
O LORD, you have searched me and known me. 
 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
          you discern my thoughts from far away. 

Job 25:4
"…How then can a mortal be righteous before God?
            How can one born of woman be pure?  …"
[Bildad in response to Job]

Rev. 14:1
Then I looked, and there was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion!  And with him were one hundred forty-four thousand who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads. 

Matt. 5:16
"…In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.  …"  [Jesus, sitting on the mountain, to his disciples and to the crowds]

No comments:

Post a Comment