I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God Most High, Our God--Oct. 1, 2016


O God Most High, you are our God,
we seek you, our soul thirsts for you,
but our pride testifies against us,
and we stumble in our guilt.
We fail to listen to one
another, shout epithets,
but to the ungrateful
and the wicked, you
are kind. Remind us,
we are all your children;
help us love our enemies;
help us do good, and lend,
and expect nothing in return,
O God Most High, our God.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 63; 149; 125; 90
Hosea 5:1-7
Acts 22:17-29
Luke 6:27-38
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 63:1
 O God, you are my God, I seek you,
          my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
          as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 

Hosea 5:5
Israel's pride testifies against him; Ephraim stumbles in his guilt; Judah also stumbles with them.

Acts 22:22-23
Up to this point [the protestors] listened to [Paul], but then they shouted, "Away with such a fellow from the earth!  For he should not be allowed to live."  And while they were shouting, throwing off their cloaks, and tossing dust into the air…

Luke 6:35
But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return.  Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment