I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

My Soul Thirsts for You--Oct. 4, 2016


God of my life, my soul thirsts for you.
May I never be too proud to seek you,
nor feel too unworthy to come to you,
nor approach you with any pretext
or plan of wrong-doing.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 42; 146; 102; 133
Hosea 7:8-16
Acts 23:12-24
Luke 7:1-17
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 42:2a
My soul thirsts for God,
          for the living God. 

Hosea 7:10
Israel's pride testifies against him; yet they do not return to the LORD their God, or seek him, for all this.

Acts 23:15
"…Now then, you and the council must notify the tribune to bring [Paul] down to you, on the pretext that you want to make a more thorough examination of his case.  And we are ready to do away with him before he arrives."  [Conspirators to the chief priests and elders]

Luke 7:6b-7
…the centurion sent friends to say to [Jesus], "Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; therefore I did not presume to come to you.  But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment