I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Call to Mercy--Nov. 22, 2016


Dear God, the poor are despoiled, the needy groan;
refugees are perishing, lost, maimed, tortured--
in need of a shepherd to heal, nourish, and
care for them, and to place them in
the safety for which they long.

Have we forgotten that each of these lost sheep
is your temple, that your Spirit dwells in them?
And do you not call us to have mercy on them?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7
Zech. 11:4-17
1 Cor. 3:10-23
Luke 18:31-43
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 12:5 
“Because the poor are despoiled, because the needy groan,
          I will now rise up,” says the LORD;
          “I will place them in the safety for which they long.” 

Zech. 11:16
For I am now raising up in the land a shepherd who does not care for the perishing, or seek the wandering, or heal the maimed, or nourish the healthy, but devours the flesh of the fat ones, tearing off even their hoofs. 

1 Cor. 3:16
Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? 

Luke 18:38
Then [the blind beggar] shouted, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment