I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Nothing Escapes the Locust Horde--Nov. 8, 2016

[From Nov. 11, 2014 archive]

You invite us to the marriage supper of the Lamb;
you gladden our souls as we lift them up to you;
but there is a price to pay, a cross to carry;
and we must sit down and estimate the cost.

As a locust horde clear-cuts the landscape,
changing a garden of Eden into a desolate wilderness,
so you call us to cut ourselves off from everything—
whatever stands in the way of following you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
Joel 2:3-11
Rev. 19:1-10  
Luke 14:25-35

Selected Verses
Psalm 86:4
Gladden the soul of your servant,
            for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Joel 2:3b
Before them the land is like the garden of Eden,
            but after them a desolate wilderness,
            and nothing escapes them.

Rev. 19:9a
And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.”

Luke 14:27-28
“…Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.  For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? … ”  [Jesus to the large crowds traveling with him]

No comments:

Post a Comment