I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Justice the Line, Righteousness the Plummet--Dec. 20, 2016


Restore us again, God of our salvation;
your words are trustworthy and true;
 you are able to make all things new.
We have been disobedient; turn us  
to the wisdom of the righteous.
Help us make justice the line,
 righteousness the plummet.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 33; 146; 85; 94
Isa. 28:9-22
Rev. 20:11-21:8
Luke 1:5-25
           
Selected Verses
Ps.85:4
Restore us again, O God of our salvation,
          and put away your indignation toward us. 

Isa. 28:17a
And I will make justice the line,
     and righteousness the plummet…

Rev. 21:5
And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true."

Luke 1:17
With the spirit and power of Elijah [your son] will go before [the Lord], to turn the hearts of parents to their children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment