I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Whose Is the Glory?--Jan. 29, 2017


Be exalted, Creator God, above the heavens,
and let your glory be over all the earth. 
You called Abraham, and he obeyed,
though he did not know where
you were calling him to go.

You have called us to be your people;
help us to follow where you lead;
put your words in our mouths,
that our speech may redound 
to your glory, not our own.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 108; 150; 66; 23
Isa. 51:9-16
Heb. 11:8-16
John 7:14-31

Selected Verses
Ps. 108:5
 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens,
          and let your glory be over all the earth. 

Isa. 51:16
I have put my words in your mouth,
          and hidden you in the shadow of my hand,
stretching out the heavens
          and laying the foundations of the earth,
          and saying to Zion, “You are my people.”

Heb. 11:8
By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going.

John 7:18
"…Those who speak on their own seek their own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and there is nothing false in him.  …"  [Jesus to the temple crowd]

No comments:

Post a Comment