I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

What Kind of Security, God?--Feb. 24, 2017

[From Feb. 25, 2011 archive]

O God of my salvation, I cry out in your presence.
I seek some security, that it may be well with me.
Let my prayer come before you; incline your ear.

You have an unsettling way of answering, though;
strange advice on how to make oneself secure—
give to everyone who begs, to all who want a loan.

Then there is the matter of Paul’s claim: while we live
we are always being given up to death for Jesus’ sake,
so that the life of Christ may be made visible in ours.

Surely this is a preposterous way to achieve security;
broaden my perspective—how can it be well with me
to live as if my only real security is that found in you?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 88; 148; 6; 20
Ruth 3:1-18
2 Cor. 4:1-12
Matt. 5:38-48

Selected Verses
Ps. 88:1-2
 O LORD, God of my salvation,
            when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
            incline your ear to my cry.

Ruth 3:1
Naomi [Ruth’s] mother-in-law said to her, “My daughter, I need to seek some security for you, so that it may be well with you.

2 Cor. 4:11
For while we live, we are always being given up to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus may be made visible in our mortal flesh.

Matt. 5:42
“…Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.  …”  [Jesus to the crowds]

No comments:

Post a Comment