I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When We Simply Come to God in Trust--March 14, 2017


When our minds are darkened, O God,
we suppose that you are a land of thick darkness.
We become futile in our thinking--we look for signs
and wonders as proof that you are with us,
and when we do not see them,
we come to you no more.

The royal official sought out Jesus
because he feared his little boy would die.
He came to ask for healing, nothing else in mind,
no time to waste on proof of power to heal.
Jesus delivered him from his fears.
Help us learn from this father.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 34; 146; 25; 91
Jer. 2:1-13, 29-32
Rom. 1:16-25
John 4:43-54

Selected Verses
Ps. 34:4
I sought the LORD, and he answered me,
          and delivered me from all my fears. 

Jer. 2:31
And you, O generation, behold the word of the LORD!
Have I been a wilderness to Israel,
          or a land of thick darkness?
Why then do my people say, “We are free,
          we will come to you no more”? 

Rom. 1:21
…for though [the wicked] knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their senseless minds were darkened.

John 4:48-50a
Then Jesus said to [the royal official], "Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe."  The official said to him, "Sir, come down before my little boy dies."  Jesus said to him, "Go; your son will live." 

No comments:

Post a Comment