I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Children of Light--April 12, 2017


Lord Jesus, we stand firm in you;
in you is our light and our salvation.
We shall not fear when trouble comes,
nor will we be anxious over anything;
while we have you as our light,
make us children of light.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5; 147:1-11; 27; 51
Jer. 17:5-10, 14-18
Phil. 4:1-13
John 12:27-36
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
          whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life;
          of whom shall I be afraid?

Jer. 17:7-8
Blessed are those who trust in the LORD,
          whose trust is the LORD.
They shall be like a tree planted by water,
          sending out its roots by the stream.
It shall not fear when heat comes,
          and its leaves shall stay green;
in the year of drought it is not anxious,
          and it does not cease to bear fruit.

Phil. 4:1
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved.

John 12:36a
"…While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light."  [Jesus to the crowd]



-->

No comments:

Post a Comment