I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Marvelous Things to Amaze Us, God--April 19, 2017

[From April 8, 2015 archive]

Mighty King, lover of justice and righteousness,
we ask you to show us marvelous things,
to fill us with wonder, to amaze us;
still nothing we might ask for
could ever amaze us more
than the way you have
loved Jesus, and he
has loved us and
has invited us
to abide in
his love.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 99; 147:1-11; 9; 118
Micah 7:7-15
Acts 3:1-10
John 15:1-11
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 99:4
Mighty King, lover of justice,
          you have established equity;
you have executed justice
          and righteousness in Jacob. 

Micah 7:15
 As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt,
          show us marvelous things.

Acts 3:10
…and [the people in the temple] recognized [the formerly lame man walking with Peter and John] as the one who used to sit and ask for alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

John 15:9
"…As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment