I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

To Press on Toward Your Goal for Me--April 10, 2017

[From March 21, 2005 archive]

O God, there are those I love who are languishing,
whose bones are shaking with terror. 
Comfort them, heal them. 
When I think of them,
my soul also is struck with terror,
while you, O God—how long?
 
You ask in return,
if I have raced with foot-runners
and they have wearied me,
how will I compete with horses? 
And if in a safe land I fall down,
how will I fare in the thickets
of the Jordan?  I have no reply,
 for if Lazarus was in danger
because of what you did for him,
can we expect to fare differently? 

I marvel at Paul’s words,
“I want to know Christ
and the power of his resurrection
and the sharing of his sufferings
by becoming like him in his death,
if some how I may attain
the resurrection from the dead.” 
Make me your own,
and give me some measure
of Paul’s faith, that I may press on
toward your goal for me.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 119:73-80; 145; 121; 6
Jer. 11:18-20; 12:1-17
Phil. 3:1-14
John 12:9-19
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 6:2
Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am languishing;
            O LORD, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
My soul also is struck with terror,
            while you, O LORD—how long?

Jer. 12:5
If you have raced with foot-runners and they have wearied you,
            how will you compete with horses?
And if in a safe land you fall down,
            how will you fare in the thickets of the Jordan?

Phil. 3:10-12
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death, if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead.  Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.

John 12:10-11
So the chief priests planned to put Lazarus to death as well, since it was on account of him that many of the Jews were deserting and were believing in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment