I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When We Dream Such Dreams--April 25, 2017


When we dream such dreams
that our spirit is troubled
and our sleep has left us,
you set us free from our sin;
you open the eyes of the blind.

You have given us an advocate--
Jesus Christ the righteous--
he comes to us to make
his joy complete in us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 98; 146; 66; 116
Dan. 2:1-16
1 John 2:1-11
John 17:12-19

Selected Verses
Ps. 146:7b-8a
The LORD sets the prisoners free;
         the LORD opens the eyes of the blind. 

Dan. 2:1
In the second year of Nebuchadnezzar’s reign, Nebuchadnezzar dreamed such dreams that his spirit was troubled and his sleep left him. 

1 John 2:1
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.  But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous…

John 17:13
"…But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. …"  [Jesus, praying for his disciples]  

No comments:

Post a Comment