I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

One Heart to Give God Thanks--May 17, 2017

[From May 6, 2015 archive]

Give us one heart to give you thanks,
that we may be your people, and you our God;
one heart and one way, that we may tell
of all your wonderful deeds.
Grant that we may put on
the Lord Jesus Christ
and let his light
shine for all
to see.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 99; 147:1-11; 9; 118
Jer. 32:36-44
Rom. 13:1-14
Luke 8:16-25

Selected Verses
Ps. 9:1
I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart;
          I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. 

Jer. 32:38-39
They shall be my people, and I will be their God.  I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me for all time, for their own good and the good of their children after them. 

Rom. 13:14
Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Luke 8:16
“No one after lighting a lamp hides it under a jar, or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment