I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When You Stand Before Us--June 22, 2017


Lord Jesus, when you stand before us
and at our right hand, our heart is glad.
Cast out our greedy eye, our falsehoods,
cursing, jealousy, hypocrisy, ostentation,
and desire for glorification,
that we may live in hope
and rejoice in you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 147:12-20; 16; 62
1 Sam. 2:27-36
Acts 2:22-36
Luke 20:41-21:4

Selected Verses
Ps. 62:4
Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence.
          They take pleasure in falsehood;
they bless with their mouths,
          but inwardly they curse. Selah

1 Sam. 2:29
"…'Why then look with greedy eye at my sacrifices and my offerings that I commanded, and honor your sons more than me by fattening yourselves on the choicest parts of every offering of my people Israel?'…"  [The LORD speaking to Eli through a man of God]

Acts 2:25b-26
"…'I saw the Lord always before me,
          for he is at my right hand so that I will not be shaken;
therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
          moreover my flesh will live in hope.  …' "  [Peter quoting a psalm to the Israelites]

Luke 20:45-46
In the hearing of all the people [Jesus] said to the disciples, "Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment