I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Your Plans, Not Our Plans--July 19, 2017


Remind us, Lord Jesus, that very often
our plans are not your plans.
Sometimes you gather us to hear your word;
at other times  you send us away,
and then again you ask us to return home.
But whatever your plans for us,
they are always in keeping with your call:
"Follow me."

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 89:1-18; 147:1-11; 1; 33
1 Sam. 20:1-23
Acts 12:18-25
Mark 2:13-22

Selected Verses
Ps. 33:10
The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing;
          he frustrates the plans of the peoples. 

1 Sam. 20:22
But if I say to the young man, 'Look, the arrows are beyond you,' then go; for the LORD has sent you away. 

Acts 12:25
Then after completing their mission Barnabas and Saul returned to Jerusalem and brought with them John, whose other name was Mark.

Mark 2:13-14
Jesus went out again beside the sea; the whole crowd gathered around him, and he taught them.   As he was walking along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me."  And he got up and followed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment