I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Why Should the Innocent Suffer?--Feb. 18, 2018


[From Feb. 26, 2012 archive]

God of Justice and Mercy,
steadfast love surrounds those who trust in you.
When is it fitting that people should suffer?

It may be fitting, one could argue,
that the wicked suffer torments
so they may be motivated to
turn to you with fasting,
sackcloth, and ashes.

But it does not seem fitting
for the innocent to suffer--surely not
the innocent one whom you sent to give
light in darkness.  Yet that innocent sufferer
is the pioneer of our salvation.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 150; 42; 32
Dan. 9:3-10
Heb. 2:10-18
John 12:44-50

Selected Verses
Ps. 32:10
Many are the torments of the wicked,
          but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the LORD.

Dan. 9:3
Then I turned to the Lord God, to seek an answer by prayer and supplication with fasting and sackcloth and ashes.

Heb. 2:10
It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

John 12:46
"…I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness.  …"  [Jesus cries aloud]

No comments:

Post a Comment