I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.
Have You Rejected Us, O God?--Sept. 28, 2014

When Jesus asked his disciples whether they had
understood his parables about the kingdom of heaven,
they answered "yes," but by their later actions they had not.

Neither do I--or perhaps I do not want to admit that I do.
I do not want to understand that you do not go out
with our armies; that you will not save us
by war or with weapons of war.

I do not want to hear we must not curse or kill
any of those who are made in your image,
even if they are our sworn enemies
and want to exterminate us.
Have you rejected our
warring ways,
O God?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 108; 150; 66; 23
Hosea 1:1-2:1
James 3:1-13
Matt. 13:44-52

Selected Verses
Ps. 108:11
 Have you not rejected us, O God?
          You do not go out, O God, with our armies. 

Hosea 1:7
"…But I will have pity on the house of Judah, and I will save them by the LORD their God; I will not save them by bow, or by sword, or by war, or by horses, or by horsemen."  [The word of the LORD to Hosea]

James 3:9
With [the tongue] we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God. 

Matt. 13:51
[Jesus asked his disciples,] "Have you understood all this?"  They answered, "Yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment