I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.
Sinners, Ourselves Included--Oct. 7, 2015

Teach us to humble ourselves,
and to examine ourselves,
and to be penitent for
what we discover.

But also make us glad in you,
for we trust in our Lord,
who called sinners,
including us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 89:1-18; 147:1-11; 1; 33
2 Kings 22:14-23:3
1 Cor. 11:23-34
Matt. 9:9-17

Selected Verses
Ps. 33:21
Our heart is glad in [the LORD],
          because we trust in his holy name. 

2 Kings 22:18b-19
Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: Regarding the words that you have heard, because your heart was penitent, and you humbled yourself before the LORD, when you heard how I spoke against this place, and against its inhabitants, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and because you have torn your clothes and wept before me, I also have heard you, says the LORD. 

1 Cor. 11:28
Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

Matt. 9:13
"…Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'  For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners."  [Jesus to the Pharisees]

No comments:

Post a Comment