I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God Known and Unknown--Feb. 17, 2019

[From Feb. 13, 2011 archive]

O God,
You have not forsaken your people,
on the contrary, you have redeemed us—
relieved our shoulder of the burden,
freed our hands from the basket.

Yet sometimes you speak to us as a voice unknown;
is it because we have not obeyed your commandments?
Jesus knew where he came from and where he was going;
sometimes we act as if such information has escaped us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 19; 150; 81; 113
Isa. 62:6-12
1 John 2:3-11
John 8:12-19

Selected Verses
Ps. 81:5c-6
I hear a voice I had not known:
"I relieved your shoulder of the burden;
            your hands were freed from the basket. …"

Isa. 62:12
They shall be called, "The Holy People,
            The Redeemed of the LORD";
and you shall be called, "Sought Out,
            A City Not Forsaken."

1 John 2:3
Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments.

John 8:14
Jesus answered [the Pharisees], "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. …"

No comments:

Post a Comment