I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Called to Be Healed--Feb. 16, 2019

[From Feb. 12, 2011 archive; adapted from Feb. 10, 2001 Journal]

Lord, you rejoice in your people
as a young man rejoices in his bride.
You call us to you, to be healed.

Sooner or later, the time comes
when you hide your face
and take away our breath.

The time of our departure comes;
we die,
return to dust.

But is your face really hidden then,
or is it just another way
that you call us to you, to be healed?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 149; 138; 98
Isa. 61:10-62:5
2 Tim. 4:1-8
Mark 10:46-52

Selected Verses
Ps. 104:29
When you hide your face, [your creatures] are dismayed;
            when you take away their breath, they die
            and return to their dust.

Isa. 62:5
For as a young man marries a young woman,
            so shall your builder marry you,
and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride,
            so shall your God rejoice over your.

2 Tim. 4:6
As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come.

Mark 10:49a
Jesus stood still and said, "Call [Bartimaeus] here."

1 comment: