I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

July 27, 2005

I. Readings
Psalms 65, 91, 125
2 Samuel 3:22-39
Acts 16:16-24
Mark 6:47-56

II. Selections
Ps. 91:14
Those who love me, I will deliver;
I will protect those who know my name.

2 Samuel 3:39
" ...Today I am powerless, even though anointed king; these men, the sons of Zeruiah, are too violent for me. The LORD pay back the one who does wickedly in accordance with his wickedness!" [ King David]

Acts 16:17
While she followed Paul and us, she would cry out, "These men are slaves of the Most High God, who proclaim to you a way of salvation."

Mark 6:51-52
Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened.

III. Meditation: Even the king was powerless
How little control we have over our lives! Even King David felt powerless before his violent subjects. The psalmist promises that you will deliver those who love you and protect those who know your name; but our hearts are hardened, and we do not understand the significance of what you have done already. To gain control over our lives, we must give up our desire for control, and follow you, and become your slaves, and proclaim the way of salvation. Then we will be astounded at the calm that comes with your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment