I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

August 01, 2005

I. Readings
Psalms 9, 62, 73
2 Samuel 7:1-17
Acts 18:1-11
Mark 8:11-21

II. Selections
Ps. 62:3
How long will you assail a person,
will you batter your victim, all of you,
as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence?

2 Samuel 7:12
When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom.

Acts 18:1-2
After this Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he found a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them ...

Mark 8:14
Now the disciples had forgotten to bring any bread; and they had only one loaf with them in the boat.

III. Meditation: Assailed and battered
Whether by our own doing or from the hands of others, sometimes we feel assailed and battered, about to fall like a leaning wall or a tottering fence. By Mark's account, the disciples were in near constant free-fall, always forgetting or misunderstanding. Paul had to bounce from city to city, on the lookout for ears that would hear him. King David, however, is both denied and affirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment