I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

August 17, 2005

I. Readings
Psalms 4, 15, 48
2 Samuel 18:19-33
Acts 23:23-35
Mark 12:13-27

II. Selections
Ps. 4:2
How long, you people, shall my honor suffer shame?
How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies?

2 Sam. 18:20
Joab said to [ Ahimaaz], "You are not to carry tidings today; you may carry tidings another day, but today you shall not do so, because the king's son is dead."

Acts 23:30
When I [ Claudius Lysias] was informed that there would be a plot against the man [ Paul], I sent him to you [ governor Felix] at once, ordering his accusers also to state before you what they have against him."

Mark 12:13-14a
Then they sent to him some Pharisees and some Herodians to trap [ Jesus] in what he said. And they came and said to him, "Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality, but teach the way of God in accordance with truth.

III. Meditation: Vain words and lies
How long shall your honor suffer shame because your people love vain words and seek after lies? Like Joab, we withhold unpleasant truth, or shift to another the burden of bearing it. Like Ahimaaz, we lie about what we know. Like Claudius Lysias we puff up our own role to make our actions sound heroic. Like Governor Felix we procrastinate lest someone think badly of us. Like the Pharisees and Herodians who were sent to trap Jesus in what he said, we flatter to achieve our ends. In all such ways we discredit you. Teach us to speak plainly, openly, and honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment