I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

September 29, 2006

I. Readings
Psalms 6, 20, 88
Esther 8:1-8, 15-17
Acts 19:21-41
Luke 4:31-37

II. Selections
Psalm 88:8b-9a
I am shut in so that I cannot escape;
my eye grows dim through sorrow.

Esther 8:8
" ...You may write as you please with regard to the Jews, in the name of the king, and seal it with the king's ring; for an edict written in the name of the king and sealed with the king's ring cannot be revoked." [ King Ahasuerus to Queen Esther and Mordecai]

Acts 19:21
Now after these things had been accomplished, Paul resolved in the Spirit to go through Macedonia and Achaia, and then to go on to Jerusalem. He said, "After I have gone there, I must also see Rome."

Luke 4:31-32
[ Jesus] went down to Capernaum, a city in Galilee, and was teaching them on the sabbath. They were astounded at his teaching, because he spoke with authority.

III. Meditation: Authority

The one afflicted by deep depression,
shut in with no means of escape,
is powerless to do anything-
except suffer in sorrow.

The sovereign ruler of a superpower
appears to have absolute sway,
the right to make any edict,
and then enforce it.

Paul, limited by circumstance and resources,
nevertheless was able to make big plans;
and Paul's plans materialized into fact
more often than the sovereign's did.

For Paul was subject of a truly sovereign power,
One who astounded others with his authority,
and who granted freedom to his subjects,
to live and love authoritatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment