I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

January 14, 2007

I. Readings
Psalms 19, 81, 113
Isaiah 43:14-44:5
Hebrews 6:17-7:10
John 4:27-42

II. Selections
Psalm 81:12
So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts,
to follow their own counsels.

Isaiah 43:22
Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob;
but you have been weary of me, O Israel.

Hebrews 6:19
We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters the inner shrine behind the curtain ...

John 4:38
" ...I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor." [ Jesus, to his disciples, in Samaria]

III. Meditation: Have we grown so weary? ;

We have not called upon you, Lord God;
it is as though we have become weary of you.
Should it surprise us if you become weary of us,
and leave us to the counsel of our own stubborn hearts?

In our stupor, our stubbornness, remind us of the hope,
the sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, we have in you:
you have sent us to reap that for which we did not labor;
others have labored, and we have entered into their labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment