I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

October 11, 2008

I. Readings
Psalms 98, 104, 138
Hosea 10:1-15
Acts 25:13-27
Luke 8:16-25

II. Selections
Psalm 138:7
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies;
you stretch out your hand,
and your right hand delivers me.

Hosea 10:12
Sow for yourselves righteousness;
reap steadfast love;
break up your fallow ground;
for it is time to seek the LORD,
that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.

Acts 25:27
Agrippa said to Festus, "I would like to hear the man [ Paul] myself." "Tomorrow," he said, "you will hear him."

Luke 8:21
But [ Jesus] said to them, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it."

III. Meditation: Seek, hear, and do

O God of steadfast love, you rain down
righteousness upon those who seek you.

Though we walk in the midst of trouble,
preserve us from distraction and dejection;
stretch out your right hand and deliver us,

that we may take time to hear your word
and have faith to act upon what we hear.
In the name of him we claim as brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment