I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

February 15, 2010

Peter Was Afraid

I. Readings
Psalms 5, 145, 82, 29
Proverbs 27:1-6, 10-12
Philippians 2:1-13
John 18:15-18, 25-27

II. Selections
Psalm 29:11
May the LORD give strength to this people!
May the LORD bless his people with peace!

Proverbs 27:2
Let another praise you, and not your own mouth—
a stranger, and not your own lips.

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves.

John 18:27
Again Peter denied [that he had been a disciple of Jesus], and at that moment the cock crowed.

III. Meditation

Peter was afraid, his life in great peril;
and fear drove Peter to deny his Lord.
I would have been terrified in his place.

Besides, Peter wanted others to think
well of him. If they did not praise him,
then Peter was ready to praise himself.
I do the same. No, I cannot blame Peter.

Bless us with your peace; and give us
your strength; so that we have no need
to conceal who we are, or to put on airs.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment