I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

First, More Assurances--July 29, 2010


I. Readings

Psalms 143, 147:12-20, 81, 116
Judges 4:4-23
Acts 1:15-26
Matthew 27:55-66

II. Selections
Psalm 81:13
“…O that my people would listen to me,
      that Israel would walk in my ways! … ” [A Voice the psalmist had not known]

Judges 4:8
Barak said to [Deborah], “If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go.”

Acts 1:21-22
“…So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection.” [Peter]

Matt. 27:59-60a
So Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn in the rock.

III. Meditation

Peter sought another witness to your mighty acts,
but no matter how many witnesses we hear, your
people do not listen to you or walk in your ways.

Like Barak before Deborah, we want more assurances
before we commit ourselves. Make us more like Joseph
of Arimathea, who boldly approached Pilate for the body
of the one just executed—executed for making bold claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment