I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

What Security Matters?--Sept. 20, 2010


I. Readings

Psalms 57, 145, 85, 47
Esther 4:4-17
Acts 18:1-11
Luke 1:1-4, 3:1-14

II. Selections
Psalm 57:1
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
      for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
      until the destroying storms pass by.

Esther 4:14b
“…Who knows? Perhaps you have come to royal dignity for just such a time as this.” [Mordecai to Esther]

Acts 18:9-10
One night the Lord said to Paul in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but speak and do not be silent; for I am with you, and no one will lay a hand on you to harm you, for there are many in this city who are my people.”

Luke 3:10-11
And the crowds asked [John the Baptist], “What then should we do?” In reply he said to them, “Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise.”

III. Meditation

What kind of security is important to us?
Having a shirt to wear, or food to eat?

The security of knowing that the risk
we take is in keeping with your plan?

Be merciful, O God, when we come to you
for refuge, until the destroying storms pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment