I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Silent Lord; a Rejoicing People--Feb. 6, 2013


 Jesus did not indulge doubters who tested him
and asked him for a sign.

When Jesus was oppressed and afflicted
like a lamb led to slaughter,
he did not open his mouth.

Yet because of how Jesus lived, and how he died,
we are children of freedom; and in our freedom
we rejoice, we burst into song, and we shout:

Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
let the field exult, and everything in it.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 96; 147:1-11; 132; 134
Isa. 52:13-53:12
Gal. 4:21-31
Mark 8:11-26

Selected Verses

Ps. 96:11-12a
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
            let the sea roar, and all that fills it;      
            let the field exult, and everything in it.

Isa. 52:7
He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,
            yet he did not open his mouth;
like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
            and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,
            so he did not open his mouth.

Gal. 4:27, 31
For it is written,
     “Rejoice, you childless one, you who bear no children,
            burst into song and shout, you who endure no birthpangs;
     for the children of the desolate woman are more numerous
            than the children of the one who is married.”  …
So then, friends, we are children, not of the slave but of the free woman.

Mark 8:12
And [Jesus] sighed deeply in his spirit and said, “Why does this generation ask for a sign?  Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment