I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Praise for All You Have Spoken--Oct. 29, 2013


 You speak to us in many ways.
You speak to us through Jesus' parables
and the prophets who spoke in your name;
for some chosen few a door opens in heaven
and you speak to them directly.
God Most High, we thank you
for all you have spoken to us,
and we praise your name.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7
Ezra 5:1-17
Rev. 4:1-11
Matt. 13:1-9

Selected Verses
Ps. 7:17
 I will give to the LORD the thanks due to his righteousness,
          and sing praise to the name of the LORD, the Most High.

Ezra 5:1
Now the prophets, Haggai and Zechariah son of Iddo, prophesied to the Jews who were in Judah and Jerusalem, in the name of the God of Israel who was over them.

Rev. 4:1
After this I looked, and there in heaven a door stood open!  And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."

Matt. 13:2-3a
Such great crowds gathered around [Jesus] that he got into a boat and sat there, while the whole crowd stood on the beach.  And he told them many things in parables…

No comments:

Post a Comment