I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Like the Animals that Perish?--April 25, 2014


We mortals cannot abide in our pomp,
O God; we are like the animals that perish.

Nevertheless, when Peter ran to the tomb
and he found it empty, he was amazed.

Paul tells us of a mystery--we will not
all die, but we will all be changed.

God, the mystery amazing to me:
Instead of redeeming your son,
you gave him to redeem us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 96; 148; 49; 138
Exod. 13:1-2, 11-16
1 Cor. 15:51-58
Luke 24:1-12

Selected Verses
Ps. 49:20
Mortals cannot abide in their pomp;
          they are like the animals that perish.

Exod. 13:13b
"…Every firstborn male among your children you shall redeem.  …"  [Moses reporting God's words to the people of Israel]

1 Cor. 15:51
Listen, I will tell you a mystery!  We will not all die, but we will all be changed…

Luke 24:12
But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment