I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Do Wonders Among Us, Jesus--July 16, 2014


We know that you can do wonders among us, Jesus,
but guard us, that we do not consider ourselves
to be wiser than we are.  May we not seek
our delight in excelling over others;

in fact, may we not seek our own
delight at all, except as we find it in you.
Teach us to meditate on your word for us;
teach us that when we show compassion
for others, we show our love for you.
Then you will do wonders
among us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 89:1-18; 147:1-11; 1; 33
Josh. 3:1-13
Rom. 11:25-36
Matt. 25:31-46

Selected Verses
Ps. 1:2
 …but their delight is in the law of the LORD,
          and on his law they meditate day and night. 

Josh. 3:5
Then Joshua said to the people, "Sanctify yourselves; for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you." 

Rom. 11:25
So that you may not claim to be wiser than you are, brothers and sisters, I want you to understand this mystery: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.

Matt. 25:40
"…And the king will answer [the righteous], 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment