I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God with Us wherever We Go--July 13, 2014


Loving and merciful God,
you redeem our lives from the Pit.

Wherever we go you are with us--
we have no reason for fright or dismay.

Make us strong and courageous like Paul,
for we want to serve Jesus, the Holy One of God.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 103; 150; 117; 139
Josh. 1:1-18
Acts 21:3-15
Mark 1:21-27

Selected Verses
Ps. 103:4
…who redeems your life from the Pit,
          who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy…

Josh. 1:9
"…I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."  [The LORD to Joshua]

Acts 21:13
Then Paul answered, "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart?  For I am ready not only to be bound but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." 

Mark 1:24c
"…I know who you are, the Holy One of God."  [A man with an unclean spirit, to Jesus]

No comments:

Post a Comment