I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

If I Believe, I Will Start on My Way—Aug. 15, 2014


[From Aug. 17, 2014 archive] 

If I believe the words you spoke, 
I will start on my way. 

I will not push aside the peacemaker; 
I will welcome her. 

I will leave behind my desire for revenge 
and start on my way. 

For even when my spirit is faint, 
you know my way. 

Lectionary Readings 
Ps. 51; 148; 142; 65 
Judg. 14:20-15:20 
Acts 7:17-29 
John 4:43-54 

Selected Verses 
Ps. 142:3 
 When my spirit is faint,
          you know my way. 

Judg. 15:7 
Samson said to [the Philistines], "If this is what you do, I swear I will not stop until I have taken revenge on you.” 

Acts 7:27 
"…But the man who was wronging his neighbor pushed Moses aside, saying, 'Who made you a ruler and a judge over us?  …'"  [Stephen to the high priest and council] 

John 4:50 

Jesus said to [the royal official], "Go; your son will live."  The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and started on his way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment