I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Breaking Others in Pieces with Words--Sept. 5, 2014

[From Sept. 7, 2012 archive]

I have tried not to hide your saving help
and your steadfast love within my heart;
yes--I have spoken of your faithfulness.

But, O my God, only you know
how many times I have failed--

how often I have rushed to speak
without waiting for an invitation;

how sarcasm has bent my words
into accusations of not listening;

how I have broken my listeners
in pieces with ill chosen words.

Forgive me for having been a torment;
teach me how to let you do the talking,
through me only if it fits your purpose.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 148; 25; 40
Job 19:1-7, 14-27
Acts 13:13-25
John 9:18-41

Selected Verses
Ps. 40:10
I have not hidden your saving help within my heart,
          I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;
I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness
          from the great congregation.

Job 19:1-2
Then Job answered [his friends]:  "How long will you torment me, and break me in pieces with words?  …"

Acts 13:15
After the reading of the law and the prophets, the officials of the synagogue sent [Paul and companions] a message, saying, "Brothers, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, give it."

John 9:27

[The man whose sight Jesus had restored] answered [the religious authorities], "I have told you already, and you would not listen.  Why do you want to hear it again?  Do you also want to become his disciples?"

No comments:

Post a Comment