I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Filled with the Fragrance of Love--Sept. 15, 2014


Generation after generation celebrates your abundant
goodness and sings aloud of your righteousness, O God.
Compared to you, we are of small account--what can we do?
We can commend one another to the grace of the Lord,
that the house may be filled with the fragrance of love.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 135; 145; 97; 112
Job 40:1-24
Acts 15:36-16:5
John 11:55-12:8

Selected Verses
Ps. 145:7
[Generations] shall celebrate the fame of your abundant goodness,
          and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.

Job 40:3-4a
Then Job answered the LORD: "See, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?

Acts 15:40
But Paul chose Silas and set out, the believers commending him to the grace of the Lord. 

John 12:3
Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus' feet, and wiped them with her hair.  The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment