I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Should Anyone Accept My Testimony?--Oct. 4, 2014


O God, you are my God, but I am in a dry
and weary land; I thirst for you.

My pride testifies against me, and I stumble
in my guilt; far from loving my

enemies, I don't even do well returning the
love of those who show me love.

What credit is that to me?  Should anyone
accept my testimony about you?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 63; 149; 125; 90
Hosea 5:1-7
Acts 22:17-29
Luke 6:27-38

Selected Verses
Ps. 63:1
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
          my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
          as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 

Hosea 5:5
Israel's pride testifies against him; Ephraim stumbles in his guilt; Judah also stumbles with them. 

Acts 22:18
"…and [I] saw Jesus saying to me, 'Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.' …"  [Paul defending himself to the mob]

Luke 6:32, 35
"…If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?  For even sinners love those who love them.  …  But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment