I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Crumbs under My Table--Feb. 2, 2015


In silence I wait alone for you, O God,
for from you comes my salvation.
Yet I am not alone.  I hear voices
of your other children; I hear of
things that have befallen them:
devastation and destruction,
famine and terrible war.
I do not want to hear
their voices, just
to be alone to
enjoy my
salvation.
But who will
grieve for them?
Do they not deserve
at least the crumbs that
fall down under my table?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 62; 145; 73; 9
Isa. 51:17-23
Gal. 4:1-11
Mark 7:24-37

Selected Verses
Ps. 62:1
For God alone my soul waits in silence;
          from him comes my salvation. 

Isa. 51:19
These two things have befallen you
          --who will grieve with you?--
devastation and destruction, famine and sword--
          who will comfort you? 

Gal. 4:6
And because you are children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 

Mark 7:27-28
[Jesus] said to [the Syrophoenician mother], “Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.”  But she answered him, “Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment