I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God Will Provide the Lamb--Apr. 3, 2015


O Lamb without defect or blemish,
when trouble was near you
with no one to help,
your friend promised that
he would lay down his life for you;
instead he denied you, and
you laid down yours
for him, and
for us
all.

Truly our God provides in ways
we do not expect and do not deserve.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 22; 148; 105; 130
Gen. 22:1-14
1 Peter 1:10-20
John 13:36-38

Selected Verses
Ps. 22:11
 Do not be far from me,
          for trouble is near
          and there is no one to help.

Gen. 22:8
Abraham said [to Isaac], “God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.”  So the two of them walked on together.

1 Peter 1:18-19
You know that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish.

John 13:37
Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now?  I will lay down my life for you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment