I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Deal Gently, Jesus, with Our Weakness--May 15, 2015


Lord, you were subject to weakness,
but your weakness in the presence
of power became your strength.
With the weak and wayward
you deal gently, O Jesus;
you regard the lowly,
but you perceive
the haughty
from far away.
And so remind us
of our weakness, Jesus;
let your Spirit enter into us
and set us on our feet to listen,
for you are the Son, the Chosen.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 96; 148; 49; 138
Ezek. 1:28-3:3
Heb. 4:14-5:6
Luke 9:28-36

Selected Verses
Ps. 138:6
  For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly;
          but the haughty he perceives from far away.

Ezek. 2:1-2
[The LORD] said to me: O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you. And when he spoke to me, a spirit entered into me and set me on my feet; and I heard him speaking to me. 

Heb. 5:2
[Jesus] is able to deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness…

Luke 9:35
Then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment