I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Not as the World Gives, Lord Jesus--May 24, 2015


We seek not the spirit of the world,
but your Spirit, Lord Jesus,
that we may understand the gifts
you have bestowed upon us.

You give not as the world gives;
you give us your peace--
there is no reason for our hearts
to be troubled or afraid.

Strengthen us, bless us with peace,
and let us not hurt or destroy;
the earth be as full of the knowledge
of you as waters cover the sea.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 150; 29; 33
Isaiah 11:1-9
1 Cor. 2:1-13
John 14:21-29

Selected Verses
Ps. 29:11
May the LORD give strength to his people!
          May the LORD bless his people with peace!

Isaiah 11:9
They will not hurt or destroy
          on all my holy mountain;
for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
          as the waters cover the sea.

1 Cor. 2:12
Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. 

John 14:27
"…Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment