I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

To Lead Lives Worthy of Our Calling--May 31, 2015


Lord Jesus, you gave us the power
to become children of God.
You showed us how to love God
with all our heart, with all
our soul, and with all our might;
how to bless God's holy
name with all that is within us.
Now empower us to lead
lives worthy of the calling to
 which you have called us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 103; 150; 117; 139
Deut. 6:1-15
Eph. 4:1-16
John 1:1-18

Selected Verses
Ps. 103:1
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
          and all that is within me,
          bless his holy name. 

Deut. 6:5
You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. 

Eph. 4:1
I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called…

John 1:12
But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God…

No comments:

Post a Comment