I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

In Pursuit of Justice--June 4, 2015


There is no justice in the world today,
for the ones who have much have too much,
and the ones who have little, too little.
In such a world, how do we pursue justice?

Or how pursue justice in relation to you?
What can we return to you for all
your bounty to us?  It is impossible, God.
Surely the pursuit of justice is hard.

And yet we have your call--pursue justice.
So show us how to do that, Lord,
even if the only way is to keep praying--
keep on crying to you, grant justice.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 143; 147:12-20; 81; 116
Deut. 16:18-20, 17:14-20
2 Cor. 8:1-16
Luke 18:1-8

Selected Verses
Ps. 116:12
What shall I return to the LORD
          for all his bounty to me? 

Deut. 16:20
Justice, and only justice, you shall pursue, so that you may live and occupy the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

2 Cor. 8:15
As it is written, "The one who had much did not have too much, and the one who had little did not have too little."

Luke 18:7-8a
"…And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night?  Will he delay long in helping them?  I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment