I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

With Your Eye upon Me--June 26, 2015


Instruct me, O God, and teach me the way
I should go; counsel me with
your eye upon me.

Our lives are full of strange turns and twists;
one day Moses was a royal son,
the next a fugitive killer.

Saul went out to look for his lost donkeys
and ran into the prophet who
would anoint him king.

And the Rabbi who had been preaching
in the temple was to be counted
among the lawless.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 130; 148; 32; 139
1 Sam. 9:1-14
Acts 7:17-29
Luke 22:31-38

Selected Verses
Ps. 32:8
 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;
          I will counsel you with my eye upon you. 

1 Sam. 9:13b-14
"…Now go up, for you will meet [Samuel] immediately.”  So Saul and his servant] went up to the town.  As they were entering the town, they saw Samuel coming out toward them on his way up to the shrine.

Acts 7:28-29a
"'Do you want to kill me as you killed the Egyptian yesterday?’ When he heard this, Moses fled and became a resident alien in the land of Midian.  …"  [Stephen on trial before the council]

Luke 22:37
"…For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, ‘And he was counted among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled.”  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment